Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 7 - Miranda Alone



Miranda had run, through the night, through the woods, and up into the mountains. The rain had started to fall a while ago, chilling her to the bone. Eventually, after what felt like hours, she was too cold and tired to run...
8dLXOjo.png

What was she going to do. She knew... she knew something terrible had happened. She'd seen them... their cold white skin, bloody dripping from their mouths... The monsters had come. Mom and Gwen were... oh God, they were gone. She'd just left them... left them to the monsters. She was alone... really, really alone...

No, Miranda, the voice said. You're not alone.
gi1kslQ.png
"Terrific... I'm going crazy," Miranda sighed. "On top of everything else, I'm going crazy now."

You're not crazy, the spark of light tittered. I know we haven't talked in a while but I never left you.

"You're my imaginary friend, Bluebell," Miranda shuddered in the cold. "My imaginary friend from when I was a little kid. You're not real!"

Of course I'm real, Bluebell chimed. I was Gwen's friend when she was young and she passed me to you. To take care of you... and I mean to. You can't stand here in the rain forever... you're not immortal enough for that yet. You'll catch a chill. We need to keep moving... I know a place.

Between madness and freezing in the rain, Miranda picked madness... and followed the fairy's directions.
tnZun2v.png

Through the cave, through the woods beyond and finally to a small cottage.

Rest here, Bluebell said. He won't mind.

Miranda was too tired to wonder who he might be...
4lylMCd.png

In the morning, Bluebell led her to the garden, a simple breakfast of fresh fruit and finally...
JE9HhPc.png

... to her mysterious host.
HC7y8td.png

The old hermit welcomed her, and Bluebell, warmly.
VxAH9k5.png

She was welcome to stay, he told her. The monsters would not find her here... but if she stayed, she would never reach the place she needed to be. The choice, he said, was hers...
b5aOf6S.png

"Let's go," Miranda said confidently.
jX4rDcu.png

You seem in better mood, the fairy chimed.

"I know a secret, Bluebell" Miranda smiled. "I know..."
y4rh2vW.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...