Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 16 - A Life

It was late, but the sounds of life still thrummed in the surrounding apartments. It didn't matter to him. No one would interrupt... and the locked door was no barrier at all.
PGyR0D9.png

It was trivially easy, really.

Elsa, your mind is mine. Your will is mine. You will obey.
J8qoOn7.png

"There you are," he said softly. "She is yours now, Max. As I promised."
O3DKm5X.png

"Why are you bothering me?"

"Forgive me, my lord but he is asking for you. I think it's nearly time."
06NAnQR.png

"I'll be right there."
Fl7rM72.png

"Vladislaus, my old friend," Jacques smiled. "Join me... not that I expect you want a hot dog."
xXBSwd2.png

"Should you really be eating those... things, my lad" Vlad asked.

"I'm an old man now, Vlad. One more hot dog isn't going to kill me," Jacques shrugged.
AisoIMU.png

"You know you only ever had to ask, my lad," Vlad said quietly.

"Immortality... fah," Jacques smiled.
31ZqcIX.png

"What do I want with immortality?" he continued. "I've lived, Vlad. Oh, let's not call it a good life... we can be honest tonight, you and I... I am a liar, a thief and a murderer. Still, the police can't touch me. The Families respect me. I have all the money I might want. I have a family... two sons to carry my name and a daughter who has surpassed them both! I have a grandchild. That... that is my immortality!"
6mKaJQM.png

"By the way, I know you've taken my young Max under your wing," Jacques added. "I would ask you to leave him alone, but I'm sure you've seen a use for him. So, I know you'd just lie and take him anyway."

"My dear lad..." Vlad started.

"Be honest, old man," Jacques laughed. "Just for tonight, be honest with me."
AisoIMU.png

"Now, I know you've started to move," Jacques said. "Max is rising in the Organization... under your guidance. Once I'm gone, only the Landgraabs will stand between you and control over the Families. I'm sure you have a plan for them already. You've killed Cassandra Goth and the Silveroak girl... best not let Mortimer learn about that."

"Mortimer doesn't worry me," Vlad said.

"Your people have even gotten rid of that meddlesome reporter, Kim-Lewis," Jacques nodded knowingly.
asQk49I.png

"You're almost ready... but remember, old man, people aren't just pieces on the chess board even for you. Something out there may surprise you yet"
1euxCRv.png

"Probably something you least expect."
7NJoFYC.png

"Good night, old man," Jacques said. "Maybe we'll talk again before it's over."
KzD4KpL.png

"Good night, my lad," Vlad said sadly. "Rest... well."
vBFK5Lt.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...