Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 10 - Safe Haven



"Well, thank you for breakfast, Mr... ?" Miranda said.

"Volkov, Kristopher Volkov," the man replied. "You can call me Kristopher. I will also accept Creepy Old Guy... at least until you know me better."

"I'm Miranda," she said. "Thank you again. It's nice to have a hot meal."

 One I didn't have to conjure out of thin air, anyway, she added to herself.

DbFpoON.png


"Miranda," Kristopher said genially as they walked together, "Forgive me for saying so but you look like you could use a place to stay, at least for a little while, and I happen to have a spare room."

"Umm," Miranda eyed him suspiciously. "Thanks but..."

"No strings, no ill intent," Kristopher said. "At least come see the place."
vW0fKc5.png

"It was my daughter's before she moved out. As you can see, it's separate from the main house, has it's own bed and bath, and the door can be bolted from the inside for privacy."
IcyoHJ7.png

jCqAht9.png

"Well, Gwen," Miranda quietly asked her reflection. "Is this where you wanted me to be? Why do I think the answer is yes? You told me to trust my instincts... and keep my wand handy. Mr. Kristopher Creepy Old Guy seems OK... I think... and I can always set his beard on fire if he isn't."
KwXU1NK.png

"OK," Miranda said stepping outside. "Umm, about rent... oh, hi."

"Miranda, this is my son Jacob," Kristopher said, "Jake, this is Miranda."

"Yeah, we met yesterday at the library," Jake smiled. "You're a wicked chess player."
oLp4lmt.png

"... and this is Lily," Kristopher continued. "She is our other lodger. As for rent, I would just ask that you help out around the house in whatever way you can."
M19YnJ1.png

"Hello Miranda," Lily smiled. "Kris said he thought he'd might be bringing home a new stray. I was one of his strays too. It'll be nice to have another woman around... Jake, why don't you show Miranda the main house."
HhdgYYs.png

"Nice girl," Lily said. "You know she's trouble, right?"

"A witch," Kristopher nodded. "On the run, from the looks of it... but I'm not sure from what, yet. Still, it's the Collective's job to take in those who need a place. You know that as well as anyone."

"Oh I know," Lily smiled, "but I didn't mean that. You might not have noticed but Jake did. She's a pretty girl."

"Don't be ridiculous," Kristopher shook his head. "Jake's Fated for Beth."
c11bzzt.png

"Like I said, trouble. I like her already."
El7vJzd.png

"Welcome to the family, Miranda."
43YVdvf.png

2 comments:

  1. Oh! This is going to be interesting. Troubles indeed seem to be brewing 🤔

    ReplyDelete

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...