Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 4 - Field Trip



"Miranda," Cassie asked, "do you have anything special going on in school today?"

"No," Miranda sighed, "just the usual stuff. History, language arts, math..."
8Fjy0Pc.png

"... alchemy, astrology, thaumaturgy," she continued. "My life is so weird."
yXvoW6R.png

"What would you say to a trip into the city to visit the art center instead?" Cassie said.

"I'd say what's the catch?"
OzsF2aq.png

"I'm meeting a friend of mine and I'd like to introduce you," Cassie continued. "Her name is Jenny and she just a few years older than you."
tSpAF1P.png

"I met her at the studio. She's an aspiring actress. ..
xs5Z4vO.png

"I have this feeling she could use some friends..."
dhLHz0l.png

"Sometimes the people a young woman can meet in this business, directors and producers especially..."
yn3pJDA.png

"... well, they can try to take advantage."
UPvTRMV.png

"I just get a sense that Jenny needs some different people in her life."

"Well, we're certainly different," Miranda mused. "Oh, alright, mom. I'm come meet your work-friend. It's better than school anyway."
caicHMx.png

"Hi, Miranda," Jenny said, "Wow, I love your hair. Your mom said you were pretty cool."

"Jeez, mom," Miranda muttered.

"I know," Jenny laughed. "Just what every teen wants to hear, am I right?"
BhjrkIF.png

"... and you can see, from the use of color here," Miranda was saying. "Oh God, I'm being a total art-nerd."

"No," Jenny said. "Well, yes... but I love it. I don't know anything about art theory."
biMQZzi.png

"I was raised by an artist and a musician," Miranda said. "I was learning color theory before I could walk and was playing violin when I could barely hold the bow."
WsMm27H.png

"Oh my God," Jenny grinned. "You play violin too. Can you give me some pointers?"

"Mom would probably be better," Miranda started.

"No way," Jenny shook her head. "When it comes to music, your mom just makes me nervous."
bfjbhtJ.png

Later, as they sat in the art center food court, Jenny thanked Miranda and Cassie for the day.

"It was really nice meeting you," Miranda said.

"Meeting your mom's weird friend from work, you mean," Jenny grinned.

"Believe me," Miranda said, "you're not one of her weird friends."
EDamwco.png

"Speaking of weird," Jenny said. "I wanted to maybe ask you about something, Cassie... kind of out there."
WuK0346.png

"I know you've got the whole occult schtick going on," Jenny continued, "but do you really know about... that kind of thing? I mean..."

"Why don't you tell us," Cassie said calmly. "Don't worry, I won't just dismiss what you say and neither will Miranda."
qBh1YB2.png

"Well," Jenny started, "sometimes weird stuff happens in my apartment..."
ggXx7hq.png

"Like furniture moving on it's own... I mean really moving..."
LscL8PE.png

"And this one morning, I found myself sitting, eating breakfast but I had no memory of getting up... or where the breakfast came from..."
hZT1mGT.png

"When I thought about it later, I had this fuzzy memory of some strange guy in my bedroom. Like, not the usual kind of strange guys who try to get into my bedroom either. He was scary... but I'm sure - complete sure - that nothing like... happened... with him. I feel like someone... protected me?"
wG75OpX.png

"It's scary," Jenny concluded.

"Oh my," Cassie exclaimed. "I had no idea. Let me do a little research... but I'm sure we can do something to help."
3NI2ovZ.png

"It was nice meeting you, Miranda," Jenny said as they left the art center. "I mean, I know you probably weren't to excited about meeting me. Honestly, I wasn't too sure about it either... but I really do think you're pretty cool."

"You too," Miranda said, "and don't worry about the weirdness. I'm sure we can figure out a way to help. We're kind of experts on wyrd."
32Y18Hs.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...