Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 9 - Catching Up



"Oh, it's good to see you," Beth threw her arms around Miranda. "Are you doing OK? You had me worried when you came up last week."
YyeViX1.png

"I'm... I'm OK," Miranda allowed. "It's taken me a while but I think I'm ready to be OK again. Are you?"

"I am,' Beth said. "Nick was my brother and a part of me will always miss him... but he's still with me, in memory and moonlight. Maybe it's a werewolf thing. The Wolf lives intensely but very much in the moment. Maybe that's why Fate bonds us so strongly to our mates... if it didn't could we really sustain love for a lifetime?"
Vb0mofe.png

"Speaking of mates," Miranda smiled as they sat down, "how is Jake?"

"Oh, he's good."
4y80Fug.png

"He's really good," Beth signed dreamily.

"I remember," Miranda smirked.

"Hey now, that's my boyfriend," Beth laughed.
zMMCX7G.png

"Anyway, Jake and Kristopher are getting along better. Kristopher still isn't happy that we followed you but he recognizes that Jake's becoming his own kind of leader... and that means he'll someday take over the Collective, like Kristopher wanted. I'm not sure if it's a wolf thing or a guy thing, really."
GLxSHeE.png

"Oh, and little Freddie is so cute."

"Freddie?" Miranda asked, puzzled.

"That's right, you didn't say long enough for me to introduce you," Beth's grin widened. "Fred's my brother! Can you believe it? Mom didn't even know she was pregnant when everything happened."

"That's... amazing," Miranda sighed.
jt25XP8.png

"So, how is everything with your family?" Beth asked.

"Good, I guess," Miranda said.
YlNoXDb.png

"I'm still doing school."

"Gwen has taken to talking to birds," Miranda shook her head. "Sometimes I really don't know if she's just nuts or if the birds really talk back to her. Knowing Gwen, it could be both."
rO5L3yo.png

"Mom's still doing the acting thing," Miranda continued. "She's got me helping her run lines. I guess it's kinda fun."
8MIzaEE.png

Beth said. "You know, I saw your mom in that episode of... what's the medical drama?"
V1dkCKj.png
Spoiler
"Residency of the Heart," Miranda muttered.

"She was pretty good."

"I think they just cast her in these lesbian romance roles to get the ratings up," Miranda grumbled.
aDwrfkR.png

"I was shocked they killed off her character," Beth said. "Even if she was only a guest star, they could have had her back."

"Well remember, my mom's a musician. She can't really act," Miranda shook her head.
jCi6ypI.png

"Oh that's not fair," Beth disagreed. "She did really well in that period drama."
AiwLlnf.png

"I guess she's OK," Miranda allowed, "when they put her in roles where she can play music, sing and dance."
ddAL3Pw.png

"One cool thing about her acting," Miranda continued, "is sometimes she meets actually cool people. She did that western mini-series with Londyn Huntley. She even got me Londyn's autograph."
hSkRLar.png

"Anyway, the studio is shipping us off to Tortosa this summer," Miranda said. "Kind of a working vacation for mom, photo shoots and events and stuff."

"Oh, summer on a warm, sunny, romantic beach... I feel your pain," Beth proved that sarcasm was not Miranda's exclusive domain.
pKEQTAM.png

"Do me a favor," Beth said. "Let yourself have some fun... get a tan. Meet someone."

"I am so not looking to 'meet someone' right now," Miranda sighed.

"Whatever," Beth smiled.
bHEHZR3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...