Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 18 - Conversations and Revelations

 Warning - This chapter touch upon mature themes and concepts which may be disturbing to some readers. It is not my intent to sensationalize or trivialize these difficult topics. - L


"Well," Cassie sighed deeply, "we survived the Gala."

"And I didn't turn Judith Ward into a flamingo," Gwen added.

"Thanks for that," Cassie chuckled.
hyn8ywX.png

"Do you think we should tell the girls we're back?" Cassie continued.

"No," Gwen said cautiously. "I get the feeling they'd prefer their privacy."
UbqQpA6.png

"Probably," Cassie grinned. "What do you think they're up to?"

"Well," Gwen said thoughtfully, "judging by the looks on their faces when they left... Do you remember that sleep-over we had when we were about that age. The time when you were very glad your dad didn't come into the bedroom?"

"He would have been..." Cassie laughed.
ayrjH1A.png

"Wait!" She stopped suddenly. "You don't think they're... ?"

"We did at that age," Gwen replied.

"But Miranda's only..." Cassie said shocked.

"The same age we were," Gwen persisted.
zUqu9Xo.png

"What are we going to do," Cassie moaned.

"Well, I think one of us should have a talk with her," Gwen said. "The Talk... We've been open and honest with her about these things all her life, but it's probably a good time to reinforce some lessons. I can if you'd rather..."

"No," Cassie sighed. "I'll talk to her. God knows what you'd tell her. We should probably make sure Danielle and Londyn know, too."

"Might be a good idea," Gwen agreed.
UX00PZV.png

The next morning, Cassie sat Miranda down...

"So, I was hoping we could talk," She said.

"Sure mom," Miranda rolled her eyes. "What about?"
hfNxhLC.png

"Well, Gwen and I (OK, mostly Gwen) couldn't help but notice how... close... you and Mariah were getting lately. We thought it might be a good time to have a serious talk about..."
bR6MlOO.png

"Oh!" Miranda gasped, then groaned. "Oh God... umm, yeah... I mean, no... Actually, well, yeah... Oh God..."

"So... you... heh," Cassie shifted uncomfortably. "Well, you know you can talk to me about... anything..."
J4B7NSZ.png

The silence between them was certainly awkward but...
zKTeBrU.png

"Well," Miranda said at last. "I guess there are some... things we can talk about..."
zAxnRlq.png

As challenging conversations went, this was actually one of their better ones.
r6b2OAb.png

Later, Cassie went to visit the Huntley's...

"We - Gwen and I - felt it would be a good idea to let you know," Cassie said. "We really like Mariah and we think she and Miranda are a good couple. We just want to make sure you knew that they seem to be becoming close... very, close."
dQ0xAzq.png

"Oh my," Danielle gasped. "I guess it was bound to happen sometime."
BMK3z0F.png

"This could be good, really," Danielle continued. "Miranda is a lovely girl and they really seem to have built a positive relationship."
oy9NgVo.png

"I worry," Londyn said, "You have to understand, Cassie, Mariah came to us from a very difficult situation..."
iZqUdkV.png
 
Warning

"Mariah recognized her orientation as a young teen and she came out to her mother and step-father. She didn't have an easy relationship with them already, but she really wanted her mother to understand and accept her."
u8jsh4j.png

"Instead, she rejected Mariah completely..."
3mvg0MF.png

"She called her a monster and said she was sick and wrong inside."
j6PpwSt.png

"Her step-father's reaction was even worse."
oc8GKld.png

"Mariah only wanted to be accepted. Instead, her parents hurt her... very badly... until finally the state stepped in and removed her from that home."
SArv6Nf.png

"By the time Mariah came to us," Londyn continued, "she was so torn up inside. We've been trying to show her what a loving, supportive family can be... but I know she still hears her mother's voice, calling her sick and wrong. Calling her a monster. She has... trouble... with relationships. I hope that, with Miranda, she's finally finding her self-worth... but I worry."
KImUDvD.png

Crap. What did I do? What did I do to her? I'm a monster. I'm a monster!
MkUrX35.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...