Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Chapter 32 - Away to School



"We've heard from Ms Anansi that she and Mr Collett are reviving an old tradition," Gwen said. "Seniors at Brookside will have the option to living at the school."

"Wait," Miranda said, "live... at Brookside? Is this like those wizardy-school books... because it doesn't really go well for those kids, you know."
35mbTFe.png

"Well, yes. It used to be normal for young witches to attend Brookside full time," Gwen said. "With fewer and fewer magical families, the practice stopped. Now, they want to revive it. The Charms and the Brujas are sending their daughters and we wanted to see if you wanted to join them."
hblLAEJ.png

"I think you guys really just want me out of the house," Miranda said, "so you can mess around in the shower without me walking in on you... again."
HXHWOZh.png

"Gah... What?... No... No, no, no," Cassie stammered.

"I take it back," Gwen smirked. "Miranda's right, you're a terrible actress."

"She's better rehearsed," Miranda laughed.
DxmcTXf.png

"Anyway, why not," Miranda laughed. "It's not like Brookside is far away."

"Right," Cassie smiled, "and if it doesn't work out you can always move back home."

"I'll let Ms Anansi know," Gwen smiled.
3vSkUkG.png

Brookside Academy...
rN73ppw.png

Miranda already knew Shannon Charm and Elena Brujas from spring term last year and she hoped this would be a chance to get to know them a little better. Shannon had always been friendly, in a flighty kind of way, while Elena seemed more distant. Miranda wondered what it was like for them, as daughters of two of the oldest surviving magical families.
wdvqtCl.png

That a fourth girl would be living at surprised all three of them. She hadn't been at school with them last year.
9uwLbkX.png

"I'm just glad to be here," Claudette said. "I'm the first Blackwood witch in generations. My dad calls the Blackwoods a "Lost Family"... we used to be an old and respected lineage but over time our magic faded."
Mqd85El.png

"Oh, like the Goths," Shannon said cheerfully. "No offense Miranda... your mom was the first Goth witch in generations. It happened to a lot of the old families. Gramma Charm has all these books of genealogy... all the great families and their histories... really fascinating stuff."
shljmXE.png

"Well, I think it's great," Elena said. "Welcome to Brookside, Claudette. Don't worry if you're behind on your magical studies. I'm sure you'll do fine."
f2RVpV6.png

"I hope you don't mind," Claudette said later that evening, "but I'm glad you're going to be my roommate, Miranda. Shannon and Elena seem a little..."

"Stuck up?" Miranda offered.
cCBqE0X.png

"I felt the same when I first met them," Miranda continued. "They're actually... no, they really kind of are. I guess they've gone their whole lives being told their family was special and important and made them special and important."

"As opposed to being the daughter of a world famous superstar and one of the Guardians of the Watch," Claudette said wryly.
MDh7c3N.png

"Right," Miranda grinned. "I mean, mom's work is cool sometimes but mostly it's just totally embarrassing and the whole Guardian thing is just really scary. I try not to think about it."
lVjswB5.png

"See, I really am glad I got you," Claudette laughed. "I really hope we'll be friends."
Fozi9pB.png

vC7VBYK.png
GdCifP9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 2 - Curious Curios

Main Street, Rangerville, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM As Molly's feet pounded against the dusty sidewalk, she realized she felt pretty...