Thursday, October 27, 2022

Chapter 45 - Rescue

 "Alright," Gwen said as they settled around the table, "You all know why we're here, what we believe we're up against and why we asked for your help"


 "Yeah, about help," Xander jumped in. "I talked to Lilith, like you asked. She said, in no uncertain terms, that she couldn't allow any of her vampires to help. She isn't willing to start open fighting with Miss H and her supporters."

"Any of her vampires," Cassie said. "What about you?"

"She told me not come," Xander said sadly. "I told her where she could shove it. I'm here. We're getting her back."


 "The same goes for the Collective," Jake said. "Kristopher is very sympathetic but 'the Collective will still not fight your war.'"

"... and we're here," Beth add. "We're getting her back."


 Gwen smiled, "Let's get her back. Here's what I now know..."


 _______________________

"You're early," Miranda said. "The potion won't wear off 'til morning. "

"Sit down... please," Claudette sighed raggedly. "I... We need to talk."


 "You need to get out of here," Claudette continued. "Tonight... now."

"Love to," Miranda said, "but... prisoners."

"No... I'm... oh gods," Claudette stammered, "I'm helping you escape, OK?"


 "What?!" Jenny cried, "What kind of lame trick is this? Why would we ever trust you? You betrayed her, kidnapped us!"

"Yes!" Claudette cried. "I'm a horrible person. We've established that. But I'm not a murderer!" 


 "Murderer?" Miranda gasped.

"Father arrived a little while ago," Claudette explained, "with one of the vampires. He... It was the first time... the first time... he asked me to sit with him in a meeting. Like an equal! The client, the person behind all this, will be calling your mom's in the morning with the ransom demands... really weird ones too, not just money but quitting show business and a potion of eternal youth... but they're not going to let you go, even once the demands are met! They're going to give you to vampires... they're going to kill you!" 


 "Oh God,"Jenny gasped. "We're going to die!"

"No!" Claudette said firmly, "I know everything I've done... but I'm not a murderer. Father left a little while ago with Max and the vampire, Markus. They'll be back soon but for now it's just me and Wolfgang guarding you... and I can handle Wolfgang."

"I know you don't trust me... but please, please... this may be are only chance."

"What choice do we have?" Miranda said. "Let's go." 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...