Friday, October 28, 2022

Chapter 53 - Deserved

 "Mr Carruthers," Gwen said confidently, "I believe I am expected."

"Do come in," the butler replied icily, "I am to show you to the sitting room."

"Very kind," Gwen nodded.

"Gwen, dah'ling," Judith drawled, "I was surprised to get your call. I'm so pleased that dear Miranda has been returned safely. It must have been a dreadful ordeal. Do the authorities have any idea who was responsible for this horrible thing."

"No," Gwen said, not bothering to hide her feeling, "and I don't expect they ever will... but I know."

"Really?" Judith presented a look of shocked interest. 

"Yes," Gwen said, "it was you. It was obvious, you see, once Claudette told us about the ransom demands. The money was to be expected. Eternal youth, well that could have been Nancy Landgraab but it wasn't likely... but that coupled with the demand that Cassie quit show business... that could only be you."

"Sure accusations, dah'ling," Judith's smile turned predatory, "Such unsubstantiated, unproven accusations... why if anyone else heard them I'd have to consult my lawyers. We can have slanders like that in the press."

"Of course," Gwen continued, ignoring her entirely, "there was also they way the hide from my Sight. It wasn't merely Claudette and Max seducing Miranda and Jenny to mask their intentions. Those alone wouldn't have been enough to hide Miss H's intent to murder my daughter... no, they hid behind you. Behind your petty jealousy, your insecurity and your fear. They used you, Judith, as much as you thought you were using them."

"Really!" Judith snapped.

"So I decided to offer an end to this feud you imagine you have with my wife," Gwen spoke over her, "There, on the table, is a potion... one which will end forever your uncertainty and fear of the looming specter of growing older. One which will give you exactly what you deserve. If that's what you want, take it, drink it."

"Poison?" Judith gave a serpent's smiles. 

"Nothing more or less than I said it was," Gwen said, leaving. "Drink it or pour it out. The choice is yours."

"Eternal youth," Judith said.

The potion tasted foul, but she could feel the energy coursing through her, fire dancing within her skin.

"Yes... Yes!"

"What?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...