Monday, October 24, 2022

Chapter 44 - An Unguarded Heart

 The choices that we make shape the paths of our lives in ways even the Wise cannot always predict. With every one, we decide who we are and who we will become. Will we be cruel or kind? Will we be selfish or giving? Will we close ourselves off or will we open to the world our unguarded heart?



"Hello Londyn," Gwen said. "Is Mariah here?"



"Oh my God," Londyn gasped after Gwen explained what had happened to Miranda. "I hadn't heard anything about this. Do the police know anything?"

"Cassie's people have been keeping it out of press as much as possible." Gwen said, "and no, the police... aren't being much help. It's complicated."



"Gwen, what are you doing here?" Mariah said, adding with studied casualness, "Is Miranda with you?" 

"That's something I need to talk to you about," Gwen replied gently.



"No," Mariah sobbed. "Oh God, no."

"I'll kill them!" she cried a moment later, "If they hurt her, I'll... I'll rip their hearts out!"

"Mariah, sweatheart, calm down," Londyn said, worried. "That a deep breath."

"I'll kill them, Londyn," Mariah repeated vehemently.


 

"No," Gwen's voice was soft, yet somehow filled the room, the house.

"We will find her," Gwen continued. "We will get her back safely but to that I need your help, Mariah. I need your heart."

"Anything," Mariah's said, her eyes bright. "Anything!"


 

_______________

"You love Miranda and she you," Gwen said. "You each gave each other a piece of your hearts. It was through that connection, that shared heart, that Miranda was able to find you in your darkness... and it is through that connection that you can find her now." 

"OK," Mariah said, trying not to fidget. "but I'm not a witch? And couldn't you or Cassie do this... I mean Cassie's her mom."



"They have warded her against us," Gwen said calmly, "found a way to shield against our hearts... but I believe they have not... could not... guard against yours. Now I must ask you to do something very difficult."

"Anything!" Mariah declared.

"Trust yourself."

"Jeez, you don't ask for much," Mariah whispered half to herself. 

She wasn't sure if she heard Gwen's reply or only felt it, echoing though her mind. 

I ask for everything.


 

 

Yes... follow that. There... There!



___________

"I'm coming with you!" Mariah demanded. "I found her, and I'm coming with you to rescue her!"

"Mariah, no," Gwen replied. "I won't tell you that Londyn and Danielle would never allow it, because you won't care. I won't tell you it's too dangerous... that we're up against not only violent criminals but dark magic and monsters you barely believe exist... because you Still Won't Care. But please, believe me when I tell you that I came here by magic... magic which does not allow me to bring  you with me... and we don't have time to fly back by mortal means."


"Alright," Mariah snarled, tears shining in her eyes. "Damn it, alright... but you save her. You bring her back to me."

"I Promise."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...