Thursday, December 1, 2022

Tartosan Summer - Gala Night

 For Miranda, the summer had simply flow by and the night of the annual Charity Gala arrived far sooner than she would have liked. Still, there was a lot of be said for getting dressed up and going to a fancy event, especially when one has a fantastic new evening gown to show off.

"Ladies," Cassie said  "in case I'm too crazed to say it later, I really appreciate all of your help tonight."

"You've got this mom," Miranda smiled, raising her glass. "To us! Wyrd girls unstoppable!"

"Right," Cassie took a deep breath, "time to rally the troops."

"Alright folks," Cassie addressed the event staff with the attitude of a beleaguered general in the eve of battle, "this is it, the big night. I know you've all worked hard setting things up. We're ready for this. It's going to be great. Work the room. Keep those glasses full. Photographers, I want to see glamour. I want to see grace. I want to see beauty... and anyone who tried to peddle any 'wardrobe malfunctions' to the tabloids will never work again. Let's go raise some money for charity!"

With the same manic energy, Cassie leapt into greeting the guests as they arrived.

 "Good to see you, Luna," Gwen greeted an old friend soon after.

"Gwen, hi," she replied. "What has gotten into Cassie? She's a little... eeiiii."

 "I think she's worried that about the Gala not going well," Gwen admitted.

"Why?" Luna looked genuinely puzzled. "She hosted last year and everything was wonderful."

"Well," Gwen confided, "Judith Ward isn't coming this year. So, Cassie feels she has to prove that the Gala can still be great without her."

"Ohh," Luna nodded. "I'm sure it will be wonderful. Do you know why Judith isn't coming?"

"Her health," Gwen replied with a smile.

__________________ 

Inside, Miranda dutifully worked the room, greeting guests and smiling. 

"Miranda, I hardly recognize you. That gown is stunning," a woman greeted her with a wide smile.

"Thank you, Mrs Elderberry," Miranda greeted her, remembering her from among the VIPs. 

"Oh please, call me Luna," she said. "Whenever anyone calls me 'Mrs Elderberry' it makes me feel old. I understand you're off to university soon... Britechester, of course. I met you mother and Gwen there. We were all very close."

"Oh yes," Miranda nodded politely.

"My oldest daughter Genevieve is starting there in the fall too," Mrs Elderberry continued. "Maybe you two will become friends too. Wouldn't that be funny?"

"Oh yes," Miranda nodded again, wondering how to escape. "Maybe we will."

"Well, I must mingle," Mrs Elderberry smiled again.

Thank god, Miranda thought.

__________________

"Welcome again everyone to the annual Tartosa Charity Gala!," Cassie called out to the crowd. "I hope you're all enjoying yourselves. We are going to have a great night and I'll be looking for you to make it even better. Remember, this isn't only a party. Your generous donations tonight go to support bringing our world together in justice and equality. So dance, have fun and dig deep to make the world a better place."

 __________________

"Miranda's looks lovely tonight," Londyn quietly said to Mariah.

"Yeah," Mariah smiled, watching her dance.

"So, have you told her the big news yet?" Londyn asked.

"I... I'm waiting for the perfect time," Mariah stammered.

"Oh Mariah," Londyn shook her head, "you have to tell her."

"I just... everything's so wonderful, here... now," Mariah groaned. "What if... what if she isn't happy about it? What if I've ruined everything?"

"Mariah, you know how I feel about this. God knows we talked about it enough. It's too late to change anything now," Londyn said firmly. "For what it's worth, I really don't think she'll be upset."

"Maybe it can just be a surprise," Mariah said.

"Tell her," Londyn prompted, gently but firmly.

"Miranda," Mariah took a deep breath, "you think we can slip away?"

"Please get me out of here," Miranda smiled tightly.

 _______________

"So, that things about dropping out of the public eye and hiding out for a couple of decades," Cassie said. "Do you think we could do that now... Tonight. Right now!"

"Dance with me," Gwen laughed.

"Where do you think the girls have slipped off to?" Cassie wondered.

"Somewhere private," Gwen smiled, "so they can do the kind of things we did at that age... the things you don't like to think about Miranda doing."

"My little girl is all grown up," Cassie sighed. "She's going off to college."

"It's funny... there are Rohan and Luna," Gwen nodded to the other couple.

"My college fling," Cassie groaned, "and your college girlfriend... now they're married, have four kids and he's a leading politician."

"Who would have known we'd end up here," Gwen smiled.

"You," Cassie laughed. "You probably foresaw all of this, even then."

"No," Gwen laughed back. "Not all of it."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...