Thursday, December 1, 2022

Tartosan Summer - Growing and Changing

 "Londyn!" Cassie smiled, embracing her friend and fellow actress. "It's been too long."

"Cassie," Londyn hugged back, "Yes, it has. You're looking good. How's Gwen?"

"She's good. She says hello," Cassie smiled. "She's off wandering around the hills, probably looking for someplace to paint her next masterpiece."

 "First, I have to say I'm sorry," Cassie continued. "I should have called you... I didn't realize Mariah had stayed over last night. I hope you weren't worried about her."

"It's fine," Londyn replied, "and it's me who should be apologizing. I expected she'd stay... and, in fact, she did call and tell me. I didn't realize she didn't talk to you about it."

"I think our girls are growing up," Cassie sighed.

"As Mariah constantly reminds me, she's legally an adult now," Londyn smiled a little sadly. "She's only been with us a few years, but she's my daughter and now she's all grown up. She's come a long way lately and I'm proud of her... like you must be of Miranda."

"Constantly," Cassie nodded. "I can't believe she'll be going off to college soon. Where did the years go?"

"Nowhere near you," Londyn laughed. "I swear you haven't aged a day since we met."

"Well, neither have you," Cassie said.


 "That's nice, but it's a lie," Londyn smiled. "In our business, they have ways to telling you these things. I don't get offered the lead anymore, you know. No, now I'm the supporting actress - the mature woman who mentors the young lead and usually disappears somewhere in Act 2."

"I..," Cassie paused, uncertain what to say. "It's not fair, is it? Men get to action heroes into their 60s and we get pushed out when we're 40."

"Cassie, I'm only 40 in my press releases," Londyn laughed. "Anyway, I'm thinking it's time to explore some other opportunities."


 "Oh no," Cassie said. "I'm sure we can still get your some good roles."

"Maybe," Londyn said. "I mean I won't turn them down if they offer, but I've got another idea and I'm excited about it. I'm going to start investing in an independent production company supporting LGBTQ actors, writers and directors. Something to give an opportunity to people the big studios still pass by or marginalize."


 "That's fantastic!" Cassie said. "Can I get in on this?"

"What?" Londyn blinked. "I mean... What? I didn't... I wasn't asking for money. I mean, I won't say no but..."

"Good," Cassie grinned. "We can do the whole 'my people call your people' thing to work out the details, but this sounds like a great idea and I want to help."

"That's wonderful!" Londyn laughed.


 _____

Later that evening, Cassie filled Gwen in. "So, I'm going to invest in Londyn's company. After all I've got all this studio money which, on top of your dragon's hoard or whatever, is more money than we'll ever need. It will be nice to do something positive with it."

"I think it's a wonderful idea," Gwen agreed.

 "It's funny," Cassie continued, "we got to talking about it because she said I haven't aged a day. I laughed it off, but... it's true. I haven't. I look in the mirror and the face there is the same one I had when Miranda was born."

"I told you before," Gwen said gently, "my potions will keep us young and healthy, baring injury or accident, forever or close to it." 

"I know," Cassie said softly, "but I never really thought about it."

"Unfortunately, people are starting to notice," Gwen went on. "Really, they have been for a while now but it's going to get harder to laugh off. Eventually, you'll have to..."

"Have to what?" Cassie looked puzzled.

"Withdraw," Gwen said. "Step back, out of the spotlight, away from the public eye. There's a reason most of us live around Glimmerbrook with other witches. Mortals don't understand and eventually it will become a problem. Not today, not tomorrow but sooner than you'd like..."

"You're right," Cassie said. "I don't like it."

"It's not so bad," Gwen smiled gently. "In a generation or two, you can come back and be that woman who looks so much like the famous actress and musician Cassandra Goth. That would be kind of fun, don't you think."

"I guess," Cassie sighed. "How are you so calm about all this?"

"Practice," Gwen said, getting up.

"Practice?" Cassie asked. "What do you mean practice? You haven't done this before. Have you? I mean, you can't have. We're the same age... Gwen! We're same age, right?!?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...