Friday, July 12, 2024

The Raven's Apprentice - Chapter 31

"Finally, we reached Doctor Key's lab," Cassie said.

---------------------

Section 6 Research Lab, 2000

"Cas," Gwen called from inside her cell. "What are you doing here?!"

"Rescuing you," I called back.

"You always were one of my most capable agents, Bella, apart from your unfortunate sentimentality," Doctor Key said, ignoring us. "Stand down, and I will not report this intrusion to the Committee."

"Let the girl go, Key," Bella replied, her smile a predatory baring of teeth, "and I won't kick Hand's green ass up between his pointy ears."

"I never understood Senior Research 6001's... affection... for you, Goth," Agent Hand snarled. "You're just another filthy hybrid... an outlier of a failed experiment."

"Last chance, Hand," she said. "Back down and give us the girl."

I wondered if Hand recognized the cool, calm voice that accompanied Bella's genuine rage. I'd only heard it a few times myself and been glad that, for all our friction, it had never been directed at me.

"I will derive great satisfaction from your defeat," Hand replied.

"You've been wearing your bio-mask too long, Hand," Bella sneered. "The testosterone has seeped into your brain."


"Cas, get to the cell. Use the override I gave you," Bella said. "Hand... let's dance."

"I'll deal with the juvenile next," Hand snarled.

"Oh... wrong threat, you dickless ET," Bella snarled, throwing herself at him.

Of course, while Bella took on Agent Hand, I still had to get past Doctor Key.

"Cassandra Goth," he said, almost conversationally. "You are, as they say, in over your head, young woman. Bella will not be able to protect you. Surrender now."

"Fuck you! You kidnapped Gwen," I snapped. "You killed my mom, you alien bastard!"

"Your mother's death was unfortunate," Key said evenly. "Even more unfortunate that you did not inherit her abilities."

"Mistake," I said, with a predatory smile of my own.

"Cas," Gwen shouted. "The arch!" 

Put your anger to work, Bella had told me. So, I did. 

"NO!" Key shouted. "The Portal!"


Turns out Bella was right. Hostiles find things bursting into flames very distracting.

Agent Hand broke off his fight with Bella to help Doctor Key try to extinguish the burning Portal.

While they did that, we made good our escape.

When we reached the lobby, Gwen threw her arms around me.

"Oh goddess, you came," she whispered into my shoulder. "Why did you come?"

"They kidnapped you," I answered. "They thought you caused the breach... but it was me..."

"That's why I let them take me," Gwen said. "To protect you! Oh, why did you come?"

"Because... because," I stammered.

Then I realized, Molly did have it right. 

Had that really only been a couple of hours ago?

Sometimes, words aren't important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...