Friday, March 17, 2023

Chapter 29 - Devil's Night

The days of Fall term passed quickly...

-------------------

"So, how is everything going?" Ms. H asked as Mariah sat down. "Do you have plans for Halloween tomorrow?"

"I'm good," Mariah replied. "Aadi's dragging us to some costume party. What about you?"

"I have... kind of a family thing," Ms. H smiled. "We gather every year."

"Fun?" Mariah questioned.

"Not really," Ms. H laughed, "but what can you do?"

"How is Miranda?' Ms. H asked casually.

"She's fine, I guess," Mariah sighed.

"What?"

"Well," Mariah sighed again, "Between classes, her Debate thing and the stuff Uncle Nick as me doing, we don't get a lot of time together."

"I'm sorry," Ms H said. "At least she has Genie..."

"What do you mean?" Mariah stiffened.

"Well," Ms H started then laughed, "Oh, I didn't mean... No, I just meant she has another friend to talk to... like you and I do. Not that she's..."

"Right," Mariah nodded.

"Unless you think..." Ms. H continued.

"No," Mariah said hastily. "No, of course not."

"Good," Ms H smiled. "Good... Well, business..."

 -------------------

"Are you seriously going to wear that?" Genie laughed. 

"Some of us put some Work into our costumes, girlfriend," Aadi grinned, "and I Cannot be seen in the same one two years running."

"Hey, this is a classic," Genie insisted.

"Hmmm," Aadi replied.

"So," they continued, "where are our little M&Ms?"

"Miranda's got that presentation today, remember," Genie said. "Mariah was here. She got changed into her costume and then she had to run out. She got one of those phone calls. What do you thinks going on with her anyway?"

"Girlfriend, leave it alone," Aadi said sagely. 

"I mean, she gets weird phone calls. She's out all hours of the night," Genie continued. "Miranda hides it but I know she's worried about her. I think she might even be... doing drugs. I mean her eyes are like saucers some mornings..."

"I know, girlfriend... I know," Aadi said a little sadly. "Right now, all we can do be here when she needs us."

-------------------

"Lyle C," Mariah snapped. "You stupid stronzo... when I got the call that you were back, trying to do business in my pub, I thought it must be joke."

"This is our pub, 'Riah," the big guy snapped back. "It's you and Marco who are starting something here, not me." 

"Vaffanculo!" Mariah swore. "Go back to the Landgraabs and you tell 'em, Britechester is my town!"

"Cool off, 'Riah," Lyle C laughed, as he tossed a beer in her face.

"Figlio di puttana!" Mariah shouted.

Blind with rage, she leapt at him, fists flying.

When the dust cleared...

"Seriously, Mariah," Lyle C panted, "go cool off. I don't want to have to really hurt you."

"Stronzo," she groaned, bruised as much in pride as in body.

-------------------

"Johnny... No, he sucker punched me," Mariah snarled into her phone. "Get Carla... What? ... Well, then go find her, pull her off whatever frat guy she's straddling and you guys meet me at the pub... No, give me a half hour. I need to wash this gunk out of my hair and change... Yeah, the pub in half an hour... We'll show Lyle C and the Landgraabs whose town this is!"

I've got to deal with this tonight, Mariah thought, even though it means I'm going to miss the party. Miranda will understand. Besides, she added bitterly to herself, she's got Genie. I'm sure they'll have a great time... together.

-------------------

"What happened?" Miranda asked.

"Look, I'm sorry I missed the party," Mariah said. "Something serious came up..."

"I don't care about the damn party!" Miranda cried. "I care about you. Aadi heard you got into a fight  with some Foxbury student at the pub! Then you skip out without a word."

"It was..." Mariah started.

"A family thing? Family business?" Miranda sobbed. "Just call it what it is... crime!"

"I..." Mariah stammered.

"You disappear all night," Miranda continued. "I sit up waiting... to see if you're coming home, if you've been arrested, if you've been hurt! You have nightmares all the time! You're using just to stay awake for classes."

"Do you know who ran this town before us?" Mariah snapped. "The Landgraabs! The same Landgraabs who tried to kill your family! Who probably kidnapped you! I'm..."

"No! Oh no!" Miranda snapped back. "You do not get to say you're doing this for me! I can take care of myself. You want to do something for me? Stop," she sobbed. "Please, just stop." 

"I... I'm tired," Mariah sighed. "Can we.... can we just go to bed? Can we talk about this later?"

"OK," Miranda said miserably.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...