Thursday, March 16, 2023

Chapter 28 - Don't Talk About Crime Club

"Marco, you're looking well." Nick Alto shook his son-in-law's hand with a smile.

"Yes, thank you, sir," Marco smiled back. 

"Tell me, how is my grandson?" Nick asked amiably. 

"He's doing very well, sir," Marco replied. "His grades are up and he wants to join the junior football team."

"They grow up so fast, Marco," Nick smiled indulgently. "So very fast. Enjoy it while you can."

"Now," Nick continued, "to business. Tell me, how is Mariah Basso coming along."

"She's doing very well, sir," Marco answered seriously. "Better than I expected. She's tough, savvy... a natural leader. I told you, she took charge of the new crew almost immediately."

"You put her with Carla G and that young Johnny Pretty, isn't that right?" Nick said, remembering.

"Yes, sir," Marco nodded. "They did very well over the summer... mostly small jobs, collections. Now they've moved up."

"The electronics heist," Nick smiled.

"Yes, sir," Marco relied. "Your girl boosted the truck herself. Smooth as a baby's butt... like she was born for it."

"She's Big Tony Basso's daughter," Nick said. "He was one of the best... I never would have thought..."

Marco stayed carefully silent. He knew Big Tony would be sitting at Nick's right hand instead of him, if... a touchy subject and one smart men stayed quiet about around Nick Alto.

"I've set Mariah and her crew up in Breitchester," Marco said after a suitable silence. "She's already working distribution on the electronics. I was thinking she was ready to step into the protection business... you said you wanted to keep her out of the prostitution."

"Yes," Nick nodded, "I'm worried about her history there. Still, she's coming along nicely. I think it's time to make the introduction."

"Are you sure, sir?" Marco tried to sound calm about it. "I know Mr. Grey feels..."

"I run this Family, not Grey!" Nick snapped. "Get her started on the protection racket and then make the introduction."

Marco's blood ran cold, but all he said was, "Yes, sir."

---------------

"Look," Mariah said, "this is really simple. From now on, you buy from the distributors I'm telling you to buy from and Mr. Alto guarantees that you get your shipments on time and in good order. Also you contribute to the Community Protection Fund. Otherwise, I can't guarantee that you'll get your shipments, and you may find this really nice pub isn't safe..."

"... and pal," Mariah continued, "I come in here all the time with my friends. If you don't have drinks and it isn't safe, I'm going to take that personally."

"Oh jeez lady," the bartender moaned. "OK, OK, I don't want trouble."

"You're a natural," Marco said as they headed upstairs.

"It's like you said," Mariah replied, "he's been paying the Landgraabs, and we're a better deal. They're on the ropes and Uncle Nick is taking over. We can actually protect the place. Everyone wins."

"Like I said, you're a natural," Marco grinned. "Keep this up, you'll be running this town by the end of the year."

"Not bad for a part-time job," Mariah grinned. "Now, tell me what I need to know about the other business I'm going to be talking to."

"No problem," Marco said as he started to outline the Alto protection racket in Breitchester.

 "... and you're sure the Landgraabs aren't going to be an issue?" Mariah asked later.

"Ol' Nancy may be trying to run her Family from behind bars, but most of her crews work for us now," Marco said. "There are a couple of guys trying to hold it together... a young punk called Lyle C being the one you might have to worry about."

"I've run into him," Mariah nodded. "Big guy."

"Muscle but not a lot of brains," Marco replied. "You and your crew should be able to handle him... but if you need backup, you call me. Anything happens to you, Nick's gonna to be pissed at me."

"Tell Uncle Nick I can handle myself," Mariah said.

"He wouldn't be trusting you with this if he didn't think so," Marco said.

"There's one more thing," Marco added as a young woman joined them, "Someone I'm supposed to introduce you to. Mariah, this is Ms. H. Ms. H, Mariah Basso."

"I like your jacket," Mariah grinned. 

"Mariah Basso," Ms. H purred, savoring the sound of her name. "I've heard a lot about you. I'm so happy to finally meet."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...