Friday, July 7, 2023

Chapter 52 - The Villareal Files

"When we were kids, my sisters and I used to love playing hide and seek," Genie explained as she led her friends down into the kitchen. "Big old house, lots of places to hide... but we almost never came down here, because the kitchens and stuff, that's Stephens' world."

"Well, one time... I don't really remember when exactly," Genie continued, "I did... come down here, I mean. Looking for a new hiding place, I guess. Anyway, I snuck into the wine cellar... 'cause the twins would never look there. In the back, there was a door I'd never seen before. It was a little bit open, so I peeked in.

"I kind of remember there was a hallway on the other side," Genie mused, "but mostly I remember mom and grand-père were there. Mom went ballistic... dragged me upstairs, yelling the whole time. I was in so much trouble... and from then on, we weren't allowed in the wine cellar."

"I asked grand-père what was back here," Genie added. "I remember he smiled, this secret smile he had sometimes. He said it was his secret place... and there was a dungeon for punishing bad girls but also a place where he hid his treasure. So... I think that's got to be it. That's where grand-père hid his files. His treasure, right?" 

"Genie, you're brilliant," Mariah grinned, feeling real hope at last.

"Of course, the one problem is that the door's locked and, knowing her, Mrs. Control-Freak has the only key," Genie said.

"Not a problem," Mariah said, her old confidence peeking through as she settled herself in front of the door. "I'm good with locks."

"Damn girl," Aadi grinned. "Where did you learn how to do that?"

"My wayward youth," Mariah chuckled grimly. "I can also boost cars and spot a Sulani vice cop at fifty paces. Now, let's find grand-père's treasure."

"I'm a little curious about his 'dungeon to punish bad girls,'" Aadi said. "I bet grandpa has some nice whips and chains."

"Huh? Ewww! Aadi!" Genie moaned.

"Well, not a dungeon," Mariah said, stepping through the first door.

"Are those gold bars?" Aadi asked, shocked.

"Yes," Mariah said, playing it cool. "Yes, they are."

"Look at all the shinys!" Aadi exclaimed. "Old grand-père wasn't kidding about treasure."

"Not the treasure we're looking for," Mariah pointed out. "I'm going to check this desk. You guys look around, see if you can find anything."

"You mean other than a fortune in gold, jewels and art," Aadi said, "not to mention literal bags of money?"

"Yeah," Mariah said. "Other than that."

--------------

"Knight," Mariah answered the incoming call.

"Bishop," Snow said quickly.

"We're close," Mariah said excitedly. "I've got a drawer full of stuff on the Landgraabs here. If I can get this other one open..."

"Kid, listen, you've got trouble," Snow cut her off. "I've got one of Alto's guys on the exterior camera, approaching the house. Looks like one John Parker, aka..."

"Johnny Pretty," Mariah said. "Proco cane! What is he doing here?"

"Johnny's here?" Genie said.

"Madonna," Mariah groaned. "Genie, please tell me you aren't banging Johnny Pretty too!"

"OK, that's not what's important here," Genie said. "Actually, maybe it is..."

"Genie!" Mariah snapped.

"Listen, I can find out why he's here," Genie said. "Besides, if no one answers the door he'll get suspicious... and someone knocked out my butler."

"Trust me," Genie said, dashing off. "I've got this."

"Agent Genie on the job," Aadi grinned.

"She's going to get herself hurt," Mariah muttered.

"Genie can handle herself," Aadi said, hoping they were right. "You better get working on that drawer."

--------------

"Hey babe," Johnny Pretty laid on the charm. "Great digs."

"Johnny," Genie smiled, trying to hide her nerves. "What are you doing here?"

"What, I can't come looking for you hot girl?" Johnny grinned.

"All the way to Windenburg?" Genie asked. "Across the bay in a ferry, to my folks' house?"

"OK, well... maybe not just looking for a hot girl." John admitted. "There's some shit hitting the fan... like, at work... and Marco, he's kinda, like our... manager... is looking for Mariah. Heard you guys had headed out this way and I offered to come find her."

"Wow, well, she's not here," Genie said. "Yeah, she and Aadi went to... umm... Pan Europa. Yeah... I'm... I'm going to join them. I just needed to pop by home to... get something."

"Oh," Johnny smiled. "Cool. Well, maybe you can... get something... and we can catch up with them. I hear it's an awesome club... Pan Europa."

"I'm... I'm good," Genie took a quick breath. "Yeah, got what I needed. Let's go."

Following Johnny down the path, Genie was sure she had this. She could handle Johnny Pretty. All she had to do was smile, dance a little, and then ditch him in the crowd. She'd let Mariah and Aadi know where she was as soon as she shook him loose. She might have to make her own way back to Britechester, but that's what they invented car services for.

Johnny, leading the way, smiled to himself. This was too easy. The boss was going to pleased. He almost felt sorry for the girl. Almost.

--------------

"Aadi, take this," Mariah handed them a file folder.

"That's it?" Aadi asked.

"I know. If we had a couple of boxes, and maybe a truck, we could take down the leaders of the all the Families," Mariah sighed, "but this is going to have to do."

"Genie's not back yet," Aadi worried. "You think..."

"She's in trouble," Mariah nodded. "I'll find her."

"We'll find her," Aadi insisted. 

"Aadi, I need you to get that file to Snow," Mariah said. And I need you to stay safe, she didn't say out loud.

"OK, OK, I'm going," Aadi said. "You help out little lost Genie. We'll meet up at the coffee shop."

"Aadi," Mariah groaned, as the pain, worse then before, shot through her. "Aadi, wait..."

The pain was so bad, it came out as a whisper. Aadi, disappearing into the hallway, couldn't hear her.

Al diavolo! Mariah thought. I need to help Genie. 

I need...

I...

Darkness enfolded her.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...