Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Chapter 24 - End of Term

"I'm gonna miss you, girlfriend," Aadi said, hugging Genie.

"Don't" Genie said, a little catch in her voice. "You're going to make me cry."

Their first year of college was over. Projects had been completed, exams taken, term papers handed in. Friendships had been made, build on the foundations of shared experiences, shared strangeness. Now it was time to go home for the summer.

"We never did make it into the city to sing karaoke," Aadi said to Mariah.

"Proco cane, that's a good thing, Aadi," Mariah smirked.

"There's always next year," Aadi grinned back.

"Thank you so much!" Genie threw her arms around Mariah. "I... I don't know what I would have done without you."

"You would have kicked ass," Mariah smiled. "You're amazing, Genie. You read too many gossip blogs, but you're amazing."

"So, roomies next year," Aadi addressed the group. "We agreed, remember."

"I hope so. Anyway, what about you and Sheldon?" Miranda asked.

"Hey, Shel-boy and I might be an item now," Aadi grinned back, "but I am not ready to co-habitate... not everyone is our little M&Ms. You girls have a good summer."

-----------------------------------

"I'm not going to see you this summer," Miranda said when they were alone in Mariah's room.

"What do you mean?" Mariah said cautiously. "Your mom will bring you to Tartosa."

"But you won't be there," Miranda said. "I know it... I... I've been seeing it for weeks."

"I... I have something I need to do," Mariah admitted.

"I know," Miranda said. "I don't know what will happen. I don't know how it will end... but I've seen it... and I know I can't change it. It's like... even though you haven't done it yet, for me it's already happened. Goddess, is this what Gwen feels all the time? No wonder she's half crazy."

"Oh mia amata," Mariah sighed. "What do you want me to say?"

"Lie to me," Miranda said, a tear slipping down her cheek.

"I'll be careful," Mariah said. "I'll be safe."

"I'm... I'm going to go now," Miranda sighed. "If you need me... just call. Just... whisper my name in the moonlight and I'll find you. I'll find you."

"I know."

-----------------------------------

Orchid Lounge,  Del Sol Valley

"The new legislation being proposed in Lower House is concerning, Sir," the man in the grey suit said.

"Grey, it's a warm spring night. We're at a lovely club, full of lovely girls. I want you to relax. Have some fun," his companion laughed.

"See, Grey," Nick Alto continued. "Here's a lovely young thing now. My friend and I are in need of some charming companionship. Would you join us, Ms.... ?"

"Basso," she replied. "Mariah Basso."

 "What did you say?' Nick Alto rose slowly to face her.

"Hello, Uncle Nick."

End of Year One

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...