Friday, December 30, 2022

Chapter 2 - Roommates

"Have you been here long?" Miranda asked.

"My flight got in early this morning," Mariah replied. "You missed Londyn and Danielle. Fortunately, so did most of our dorm-mates, so my cover remains intact. You get to be the one with the famous family on our floor."

"Gee, thanks," Miranda moaned.

"So, this is me," Mariah said, gesturing to the first dorm room door in the hall. "It's a double room. I've got a room-mate."

"I guess we didn't really think about arranging to share a room," Miranda mused.

"Yeah," Mariah sighed. "Maybe if I'd told you I was going to be here sooner..."

"You know, it's probably for the best," Miranda smiled. "I don't know how much studying I'd get done if we were... you know... together." 

"That's a point," Mariah laughed.

"So, roommate," Miranda began.

"Speak of the devil and she appears," Mariah muttered. "Ciao, Angela. Miranda, this is my roommate Angela. Angela, this is my girlfriend Miranda."

"Wow, you're Cassie's daughter," Angela commented. "That must be so cool."

"Ummm, yeah," Miranda winced, "it's... something."

"Well, I'm going down to the bookstore to get my textbooks and supplies," Angela continued, "You guys wanna come with?"

"We'll probably do that later," Mariah replied. "I'm sure Miranda needs to get settled in first."

"Right, right," Angela nodded. "Well, maybe I'll see you."
"I guess this is me," Miranda said, nodding to the last door.

"The ladies' triple," Mariah nodded. "Ready to meet the roommates?"

"I guess," Miranda sighed. "You know, I've never really had a roommate before."

"It's been a while for me," Mariah nodded knowingly. "It's going to take some getting used to."

"Hi! You must be Miranda," a cheerful young woman declared. "You look just like your picture in Entertainment Today."

"Hi... yeah, thanks... and this is..." Miranda blinked, briefly overwhelmed by the young woman's enthusiasm.

"Mariah, of course," her roommate' smiled. "Oh, I promise I don't spend all my time reading the gossip columns. My mom just shoved them in front of me when she heard you would both be here. I'm Genie... Genie Elderberry."

"Well, hi Genie," Miranda said politely. "Wait... Elderberry? Not Genevieve Elderberry?"

"Oh God, please... Genie," she replied. "Only my mother calls me Genevieve. Well, her and the media and we're all trying to dodge them, amiright?"

"So, I've already claimed this side," Genie continued. "I hope that's OK. The other two beds are open... our third roommate hasn't arrived yet."

"That's fine," Miranda said, unable to suppress an amused smile. "I'll just get my stuff and start unpacking."

"Great," Genie grinned. "I'm headed over to the student commons to grab some lunch. Maybe I'll see you there?"

"Maybe," Miranda nodded, "depends how long it takes me to unpack."

"Madonna," Mariah swore gently as Genie left, "I don't know if I'm going to survive roommates."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...