Content Notice: Cinematic Violence, Nudity
--------------------
"We're not the villains here, Genevieve," Luna said. "We're trying to make the world better. I'm doing this for you!"
"For me?! How is any of this for me?" Genie cried. "Are you saying you killed Shannon Charm for me? Killed Miranda and Mariah, for me?!"
"Yes. It's tragic, but it's necessary," Luna said.
"Did you kill Augustus Charm for me too?" Genie snapped.
"Of course I did!" Luna yelled, her cool, confident mask vanishing suddenly. "He murdered you... your grandmother... all for this stupid, pointless war. He had to die. He deserved to! They all deserve to! Don't you see?!"
Genie rocked back, her eyes wide with horror. She saw it at last, in her mother's eyes. Years, decades, of pain and loss. A desperate wild need and an impossible hope.
My God, Genie thought, she's crazy. She thinks I'm Genevieve. She thinks I'm my grandmother! But a tiny voice whispered in Genie's mind, after all I've seen, is reincarnation really that outlandish?
"It's alright, Luna," Rohan said, rushing to her side. "It will be alright. Everything will be alright."
"Don't you see?" Luna repeated, her face smoothing again into the calm mask that no longer quite hid the mad certainty in her eyes.
"Yes," Genie breathed. "Yes, I do see."
--------------------
"I'm fine," Lou Howell grunted. "It's just a flesh wound."
"Stay down," Rory growled at her mate.
"Glad to see they underestimated you after all," Jake said.
"Sending just four assholes with guns. Fucking insulting," Rory scoffed, but Jake could see the worry in her eyes when she looked down at Lou.
To Miranda, she added, "I thought you guys said two weeks, not two days."
"That's what we thought too," Miranda said. "I guess they went early."
"Weak guys always do," Rory grinned. "Demarco and Etta?"
"On their way. I could get here faster," Miranda replied.
"The Collective?" Rory said, turning to Jake.
"The Moonrunners also have 'flesh wounds,'" Jake said bitterly. "Lily's taking care of them. I haven't heard from Wolfgang, but I assume he was at the library with Beth. They took the library, Rory. They've got my wife and kid. They're going to kill them if I don't surrender."
"Fuck that. We take them down," Rory snarled.
--------------------
"Luna, dear, you've been handling so much. Why don't you get yourself a nice glass of wine," Lady Bow purred. "Mr. Grey and I can take the girls here to the guest house. Don't fret. We'll take care of them, won't we, Mr. Grey."
"Yes," Mr. Grey nodded with a slight smile that didn't touch his cold eyes. "Yes, we will take care of them."
"Of course," Luna said with a deep breath. "I should contact Errant and Hand. I need make sure the Harbor and Moonwood operations are proceeding smoothly."
"Perhaps a small glass of wine first, dear," Rohan suggested, leading her out of the library.
Grey and Lady Bow moved behind Genie and Jenny, pushing them forward.
--------------------
--------------------
"They're dug in good," Rory said. "The entrances are covered by guys with assault rifles. I can't tell how many inside. We could rush them but..."
"They'd kill the hostages before we reached the doors," Jake said. His Wolf wanted nothing more than to rush in. To save his wife and child. He held it in check.
"If we reached the doors. They've got clear lines of sight, and there's no ground cover on the approaches," Rory chuckled. "Why did I never notice that Wolfgang's library was a fucking fortress?"
"You never did read enough," Jake teased.
"Eh," Rory grinned.
Standing with them, Miranda didn't really hear Jake and Rory bantering.
Holding the Moonwood Wand, she found herself thinking about what Etta had said. About how the wand was connected to the vast, ancient power of the Moonwood. As it always did, the wand felt like an extension of her arm, a part of her, of her magic, of her soul.
She could feel the wind blowing through the trees. She could taste the water they drew up into their roots. She could feel the earth they were anchored in. All of it was alive, vital... Aware.
With a start, she realized that as she was connected to the Moonwood, the Moonwood was connected to her. Through her, it somehow understood what was happening. It knew what she knew, and she could feel what it felt.
The Moonwood was angry.
--------------------
"They're going to kill us," Jenny whispered. "You know that, right?"
"Yeah," Genie said, slowing down slightly, just enough to widen the gap between them and her parents.
"Move," Grey barked harshly.
Genie moved. Breaking into a run, hoping Jenny was with her, she ran for the far door. If they could make it outside, they had a chance.
-----------------------












No comments:
Post a Comment