Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Raven's Apprentice - Chapter 24

"I was absolutely confident in my ability to close a hole in the world," Cassie mused. "I just still couldn't handle how I felt about Gwen. The joys of being a teen."

---------------------

Ophilia Villa, Willow Creek, 2000

I woke up early the next morning, determined to figure out how to perform my father's balancing ceremony. I was sure I should be able to do that before breakfast and get to school on time.

I searched through the seance room, looking for any notes or instructions my father might have. I guess I thought I'd find a scrap of paper, with the full balancing ceremony written out, that had fallen behind a table or something. I mean, that's how it works in the movies. 

Of course, that's not how it worked. 

Undeterred, I turned my attention to my mother's Book of Shadows. Surely, Mortimer Goth's first wife had taken Netherworld Studies at Brookside Academy, but a quick scan of the pages revealed nothing enlightening. My mother's 'stream of consciousness' writing style made it impossible to find the answers I needed quickly.

I was no closer to a solution that I had been when I got up, but I was sure Gwen and her friend would have an answer. After all, Gwen was fully trained witch, and I was the daughter of Mortimer Goth and Victoria Rowan. We could totally do this. 

Still full of confidence, I dashed out the door, pausing just long enough to shout that I was going to take the streetcar today. I wasn't even sure anyone actually heard me, but I didn't give that much thought.


Foundry Cove, Willow Creek, 2000

I navigated Willow Creek's public transportation without too much trouble. I just didn't have a lot of practice. Even with my early start, I knew I was cutting it close if we were going to get to school on time. I just hoped Gwen wasn't already on the school bus.

She wasn't. 

I spotted her a little way down the path from the Brown's house, having what looked like an intense conversation with a man I'd never seen before.


"But I need your help," Gwen said.

"No, Gwen, you can handle this situation yourself. You're a talented witch. I have every confidence in you," the man said.

"I don't know anything about Netherworld magic," Gwen insisted. "I can't do this."

"Yes, you can," he replied. "You shouldn't have called me for this. I told you before, it isn't safe for me to be here... for either of us."


"Safe!" Gwen burst out. "You're Lucius Tempest, hero of the Century War! You're the greatest weather-witch in the world! You single handedly defeated Lord Sloth's invasion fleet! "

"And I live with the pain of that, Gwen," Lucius countered, "but Lucius Tempest, warrior and hero is precisely why I can't be here except in dire need."

"You don't think a tear in the Veil is dire need?" Gwen demanded.

"You can handle this," Lucius said in that patient voice that is guaranteed to enrage teens.


Which it did.

"You don't care about me at all!" Gwen shouted. "I hardly ever saw you, growing up. Mother and grandmother died... and you didn't do anything! You just stuck me out here, alone, in the mortal world! You finally got rid of me."

"Gwen..." he started.

"Forget it!" Gwen continued shouting. "You never wanted anything to do with me! Mr. Brown has been more of a father to me in the past two months than you have for my entire life. So just forget it! I can handle everything myself. I never want to see you again!"


With that, she turned and stormed off. I remember, Lucius watched her for a moment before turning away himself and disappearing... into a tree. 

I've never seen him again.


---------------------

Glimmerbrook Watch, Present Day

"Wait... 'father'?" Miranda said. "This Lucius guy is Gwen's father?! And he lives in the Bramblewood... like right up the mountain from where I grew up. Is he still there?"

"As far as I know," Cassie said softly.

"So, for the first sixteen years of my life, I had a grandfather living practically next door," Miranda continued, shocked. "Who not only have I never met but who you never even told me about..."

"He abandoned me!" Gwen shouted, her usual serenity shattering like glass. "Don't you think he knew where we were? He could have come to see you any time he wanted... could have helped any time he wanted. But he didn't."

"You told him you never wanted to see him again," Cassie pointed out gently, "Maybe he took you at your word. You've never reached out to him either."

"Why did you even mention him?!" Gwen snapped, turning her furious gaze on her wife.

"Because we agreed we were going to tell them the truth," Cassie said, "and because she deserves to know. She's deserved to know for a long time."

"Fine," Gwen snarled. "Tell them your story. I'm going for a walk."

"Gwen..." Miranda started.

"Let her go," Cassie sighed. "She needs time to cool off. Maybe we should take a break too..."

"No," Miranda said firmly. "Tell us the rest of the story."

"OK," Cassie sighed. "Well, obviously, we needed a new plan..."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...