Friday, June 9, 2023

Interlude - Genie's Wish

Meanwhile...

"Aadi, I'm so sorry about my mom," Genie said. "She's just..."

"Hey, it's OK girlfriend," Aadi said soothingly. "She doesn't understand but she listened. That's big."

"You don't know her," Genie grumbled. "She sounds all reasonable and stuff, but it's her way or no way... and that stuff my dad's doing. Aadi, how can you even look at me?"

"You're not your parents, Genie," Miranda said. "You're our friend."

"Still, I am having a hard time looking at you right now," Aasi teased. "Girl, what is this you're wearing?"

"God," Genie moaned. "You're right. I'm going to get this crap out of my hair and get changed. Then, I'm going to the frat party. I'm going to get seriously drunk and boink some rando."

"Umm Genie, I'm not sure about the last part of this plan," Miranda said, "or the middle part of the plan either."

"Yeah, don't do anything stupid, Girl," Aadi said.

"No, after an afternoon with Luna, stupid is exactly what I need to do," Genie said. "And don't either of you dare follow me."

"Oh boy," Miranda sighed.

---------------

"This is the best!" Genie cheered.

The music pounded to shake the walls. A press of college students crowded around the bar, drinking heavily and all but shouting to be heard over the music. From the next room, squeals of laughter and drunken cries of "Take it off" accompanied a young woman flashing the crowd. 

Genie had considered doing that herself, but the charming company of Johnny Pretty held her attention at the moment.

"This is just what I needed after Luna," Genie added, drawling out her mother's name bitterly.

"Hey, no serious stuff," Johnny said. "We're having fun."

"Fun!" Genie agreed. 

"Too bad your roommates couldn't come," Johnny said. "I'd love to meet Aadi and Miranda."

"No roommates. No parents. Nobody telling me to be good, sit still, stay out of trouble," Genie said. "I want some trouble!"

"Alright!" Johnny laughed.

"Hey babe," a rando in a green sweater said. "Why don't you ditch this loser and let me get you a drink."

"See, that's what I'm talking about," Genie laughed. "Johnny, this guy is trying to pick me up. What do you think of that?"

"Pretty ballsy," Johnny said with a cold grin. Neither Genie not Green Sweater Guy recognized the danger behind that grin.

"Pretty ballsy," Genie agreed, adding to Green Sweater Guy, "but I think I'm good for now."

"Your loss." Green Sweater Guy wandered off. 

"Come 'ere" Genie said, pulling Johnny up with her. "So, I'm looking for a guy to take me upstairs and help me finish forgetting my crummy day. So, you gonna bang me or should I go hit up Green Sweater Guy?"

"Babe, I'll make you forget your troubles. I'll make you forget you own name," Johnny grinned.

---------------

"Mmmmm," Genie purred later. "I needed that."

"Happy to help," Johnny smiled. "Call me anytime."

"I'll do that," Genie grinned. "God, I've got to get home. Thanks for a wild night."

"Meeting over?" Johnny asked.

"Mr. Alto wouldn't be pleased if he knew about your little... side project, you know," Ms. H said.

"What Nick doesn't know doesn't hurt me," Johnny Pretty smiled. "Anyway, it'd be worth it. She's a firecracker."

"After today, your 'firecracker' may be more valuable than I first thought," Ms. H said. 

"Good thing I got close to her then," Johnny smirked.

"Good thing you decided what she knew about Mariah and the other roommates might be of value," Ms. H grinned. "You're a very enterprising young man, Mr. Pretty."

Johnny continued to smirk, as unaware of the danger he now stood in as the Green Sweater Guy had been.

"Now," Ms. H purred, "tell me everything she told you."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangerville Mystery - Ch 3 - Friends and Neighbors

FutureTech Labs, Rangerville, Thursday, May 6th, 2021, 7:20 PM "I think, if we really have overcome the feedback issue, we've got i...